Challenger is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible with computer vision and AI when applied to video gaming. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don’t suffice.
At Challenger we believe all gamers should have an opportunity to enhance their experience with cash contests without radically changing how/where/when they play. With this belief guiding us, we’ve built a first of its kind in-game contest engine that automatically tracks results for users and provides real-time notifications for scores. We are building and operating an exciting software stack of cloud infrastructure, software services, APIs, web and Windows interactive interfaces, and AI-driven data pipelines to bring a streamlined way for gamers to compete for cash.
We bring the adrenaline of having something at stake and the thrill of winning to the AAA gaming titles people love. We’re a small team of passionate technologists and gamers, chasing ambitious goals in a very fun industry that has not yet realized the potential of cash gaming.
Our company is young, hungry, and ready to disrupt traditional tournaments players in the eSports space.
As a leader at Challenger you will shape the direction of the company and build a product that delivers an experience unlike any other in the video gaming market.
You are energized and motivated by the opportunity to build cool software. You enjoy seeing your creation come to life and be used by thousands. You crave tough challenges in a super technical and collaborative environment that requires creativity and vision to navigate complex and sometimes ambiguous problems.
You have a passion for leadership and experience overseeing geo-distributed teams. You’re happy in a team-oriented environment where collaboration between developers and across teams is common; where giving and receiving of feedback, and constructive debate are actively encouraged.
You feel a personal stake in the product you ship; with an enthusiasm for building great things and a drive to continually improve, be productive, and be proud of the work you deliver.
If this sounds like you, then join our team and let’s create something game changing!
We are seeking a Director of Engineering to oversee our infrastructure and engineering teams to develop custom services that allow our AI models to be used in low-latency video gaming applications, in combination with server-side data processing and a microservices approach to data sharing. The current team composition includes DevOps, AI/ML Data Science Engineers, Python Engineers, React.js Front End Engineers, and Windows .NET/C# Engineers.
In the position, you will:
- Grow and lead outstanding engineering teams, operate as an expert with the ability to guide and inspire the best performance, innovation and utilization of optimal engineering practices
- Assist with code reviews and offer technical guidance, lay the groundwork for engineering and devops practices, instill a metrics and product driven culture
- Represent engineering and collaborate with CxOs on product vision and requirements
- Translate product requirements into strategic technical guidance and requirements
- Work with the company’s patent attorney to identify and protect new inventions and processes
- Drive decision-making through uncertainty in a dynamic environment
- Understand Challenger’s strategic priorities and ensure the engineering team’s work is aligned
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, including:
- 5+ years of hands-on software development as an individual contributor
- 3+ years of software engineering experience and architecting highly available, scalable and low latency systems for high traffic applications.
- 2+ years in a leadership/management role with experience building engineering teams.
- 1+ year(s) of software engineering experience building, and shipping data science AI enabled products.
- You’ve created a high-performance, fun environments with accountability and results, preferably managing several geo-distributed teams (onshore, nearshore, offshore)
- We are set for rapid growth and are hiring in all engineering areas. Your proven ability to hire and retain highly talented team members and to scale up the organization will be a key success metric.
- Extensive experience with software development processes (building, unit testing, code analysis, release process, and code coverage)
- Experience with cloud-native software development, deployment and operation using Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience and confidence diving deep into system architecture, design, performance metrics, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations.