At Challenger we believe all gamers should have an opportunity to enhance their experience with cash contests without radically changing how/where/when they play. With this belief guiding us, we’ve built a first of its kind in-game contest engine that automatically tracks results for users and provides real-time notifications for scores. This is made possible through the combination of our Windows app for contest configuration and data collection, our AI (computer vision, deep learning, machine learning) to understand in-game interactions, and our python data processing running on a performant and scalable GCP tool chain.
As an Engineer at Challenger you will be able to use a combination of leading edge technologies to deliver an experience unlike any other in the video gaming market. We’re a small team of passionate technologists and gamers, chasing ambitious goals in a very fun industry that has not yet realized the potential of cash gaming.
If you’re a DevOps hero with experience across multiple platforms and you’re looking for more, our multi-platform, multi-architecture system is the playground you’ve been looking for.
You are a talented, experienced software engineer with a handle on good software design, a knack for solving difficult problems in complex multi-component systems, and an interest in learning new things.
You are happy in a team-oriented environment where collaboration between developers and across teams is common; where giving and receiving of feedback, and constructive debate are actively encouraged. You feel a personal stake in the product you ship; with a passion for building great things and a drive to continually improve, be productive, and be proud of the work you deliver.
If this sounds like you, then join our team and let’s create something game changing!
About The Role
This is one of our most highly valued and prized roles at Challenger, we are passionate about the infrastructure we’ve built and are building. We are seeking a DevOps Python Engineer to join our engineering team and help us maintain and further develop the Challenger backend systems.
DevOps responsibilities include setup, optimization, and management of our cloud and microservices infrastructure. In this role, you will own our installation on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and also the CI/CD process for code release management.
Ultimately, you’ll build, enhance and manage:
- Infrastructure to support mass scale real-time data processing
- Security and data protection solutions
- Services for highly responsive web and desktop applications that align with our business needs
- Platforms for processing, developing and deploying machine learning and deep learning algorithms
- CI/CD pipeline for Application development teams.
- Build new data processing systems and improve functionality of existing systems
- Continue to build and reﬁne our modern DevOps toolchain and infrastructure platform utilizing open source and best in breed commercial technologies
- Manage our CI/CD process
- Collaborate across teams to improve build, integration & release process
- Develop back-end components to improve responsiveness and overall performance
- Support our other engineering team members as they integrate user-facing elements into applications
- Identify opportunities to implement solutions to further automate platform builds and processes and otherwise improve the functionality of existing systems
- Implement security and data protection solutions
- Coordinate with internal teams to understand user requirements and provide technical solutions
- Test and debug programs
- Implement security and data protection solutions
- Previous work experience as a Sr. DevOps engineer
- DevOps experience in a tech-forward environment, having demonstrated progressively innovative contributions in system architecture
- Expert level skill in Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- GCP Certification ideal
- Experience with highly scaled out, consumer-focused services and platforms, primarily focused on core infrastructure and software delivery
- Experience developing Python based microservices using Django/Flask.
- Experience with GitHub development workflow.
- Experience scaling CI/CD systems and microservices
- Knowledge of automation and best practices related to CI/CD pipelines and associated tools such as Jenkins
- Experience with Jenkins administration and scaling
- Experience with containerization and orchestration technologies such as Chef, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- Experience with software development processes such as building, unit testing, code analysis, release process, and code coverage
- Knowledge of automation and best practices related to CI/CD pipelines and associated tools such as Jenkins, Chef, etc.
- Ability to participate in an after hours on-call rotation schedule.
- Understanding of operational concepts and tooling, including monitoring platforms such as Grafana or Nagios, log aggregation solutions, such as Splunk, SumoLogic, and distributed tracing.
- Strong analytical, communication and problem-solving skills
- Able to work effectively as a remote team member
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field, or equivalent experience